- 1. A morning colloquium offered by the Canadian Institute for Jewish Research (CIJR); PLUS 3 OTHER EVENTS:
- 2. A flashmob at Roy Thomson Hall organized by Canadians For Israel.
- 3. A rally of thousands at the Israel consulate organized by the Jewish Defence League (JDL) against the pro-terror forces across the street.
- 4. A march of 100+ people from the Israel consulate to Queen’s Park organized by Israel Truth Week, with great support from JDL to support yet another rally of thousands for persecuted Christians in Iraq.
Event #1. 10:30-12:30: CIJR Colloquium: Israel, Hamas and the Third Gazan War. I was only able to attend the first half in order to be able to participate in event #2, but the two speakers I heard were worth the 2.5 hour drive from my home in London alone:
SPEAKER 1: Prof. Renan Levine from the U of Toronto spoke about what the polls were saying about the Gaza war:
- For Israelis: the tunnels made a HUGE difference in gaining strong support for the war. Benjamin Netanayhu’s popularity is way up; no one else is even close.
- For Gazans: most thought Hamas lost and would choose reconstruction vs. more war. A key difference in this war is that Egypt is not a friend of Hamas.
- For Americans: 40% believe Israel is justified. 15% think Hamas is justified. These positions are unaffected by tunnels or the number of civilian dead. The majority of those greater than age 50 think Israel was justified. The majority of those under 25 think Israel was un-justified. Casualties make youth more resistant to truth.
- Non-US citizens: More likely to disapprove of Israel.