130921 Israel Truth Week Sodastream vigil, Canadian Tire, Stoney Creek, Ontario, Canada — (L-R): David Freeman, former Chair of Toronto Chapter of CIJR, and Israel Truth Week founder Mark Vandermaas, proudly display their new Sodastream purchases with Salomon Benzimra, author of ‘The Jewish Peoples’ Rights To The Land Of Israel’; Vardit Feldman; and Steve Scheffer of Hamilton’s Never Again Group, co-organizer of the 2013 Israel Truth Week conference. David plans to donate his to a synagogue; Mark donated his to Pastor David Cumming’s Hamilton Christian Fellowship Church (not shown) in gratitude for his assistance during Israel Truth Week 2013 and for lending his support via his presence at the vigil.
Canadian Jewish News re Israel Truth Week Sodastream vigil:
As part his overall mission, Vandermaas wants to get the message out that Israel isn’t an occupier, but an owner of the land, thanks to a land title deed given to the Jewish People under international law that created the “two-state solution” in 1922. That’s when the League of Nations ratified the 1920 San Remo Resolution dividing the planned Jewish state of Palestine into two: one for Jews (now Israel) and one for Arabs (now Jordan), he said.“ Our mandate is to protest with dignity and protest with resolve. I see no more important project… than making sure the Jewish community understands San Remo,” Vandermaas said. “There is an iron-clad title deed founded in the bedrock of international law. This is not generally known, even among Jews.” “If you are going to give away a huge portion of your birthright, you better at least understand you are doing so as owners and not as monstrous occupiers. More than that, the world needs to understand.”[…]
“We follow the ways of Martin Luther King, who raised black people up instead of putting white people down, “ he said. “Why don’t they raise up the Arabs instead of tearing down the Jews?”
(UPDATED Oct 09/13): Yesterday’s (Sept 21) Israel Truth vigil at Canadian Tire, organized in response to planned anti-Sodastream picketing by the Hamilton Coalition to Stop the War (HCSW), Canadians for Peace and Justice in the Middle East (CPJME); and the Palestinian Association of Hamilton (PAH) was a wonderful success, and the rain that poured down on us only made what was to become a great victory even more sweet.
Community leaders and their supporters — Jewish, Muslim, Christian, Hindu (and a few atheists) — from London, Hamilton and Toronto came to stand for Israel against the intimidation of Sodastream, an Israeli company that manufactures carbonation appliances in Judea-Samaria that has saved billions of cans and bottles from landfills around the world. Participants included:
- David Freeman, former Toronto Chair, Canadian Institute for Jewish Research.
- Salomon Benzimra, co-founder of Canadians for Israel’s Legal Rights; author of The Jewish People’s Rights to the Land of Israel, ITW 2013 speaker.
- Tahir Gora, author, TV host, founder of Progressive Muslims Institute Canada; ITW 2013 speaker.
- Shobie Kapoor, founder, Canadian Patriotic Society.
- Ilana Schneider, Exec. Director of Canada-Israel Friendship Association.
- Gary McHale, Exec. Director of Canadian Advocates for Charter Equality; ITW 2012 & 2014 speaker; author of upcoming book, Victory In The No-Go Zone: Winning The Fight Against Two-Tier Policing (to be released November 9, 2013 at the Freedom Press Symposium; reserve tickets now).
- Members of Hamilton’s Never Again Group. (co-organizers of 2013 Israel Truth Week conference; they prefer to maintain a truly virtual presence by not being online).
- Pastor David Cummings, Hamilton Christian Fellowship (he hosted a screening of Precious Life during Israel Truth Week 2013, a movie about an Israeli doctor who saves the life of a Gazan baby whose mother later talks about him being a suicide bomber.)
- Al Gretzky, Freedom Party candidate; 2012 ITW speaker.
- Monica Di Francesco, speaker at ITW 2013 on behalf of Return Ministries, with her daughter: Baptism by Wind, Rain And Fire: Riding Under Missiles From Gaza for ALL The Children of ALYN Hospital — Jewish, Christian And Arab.
THE DAY IN VIDEO
Appearances – in order – by: Hamilton Coalition to Stop the War (leaving early after being ordered off the property); Mark Vandermaas, Israel Truth Week; Vardit Feldman, Israel activist; Gary McHale, Canadian Advocates for Charter Equality; Tahir & Halima Gorah, Progressive Muslims Institute Canada; Shobie Kapoor, Canadian Patriotic Society; Salomon Benzimra, Canadians for Israel’s Legal Rights; Steve Scheffer, Never Again Group. Produced by Jeff Parkinson, CanACEHD:
THE DAY IN PICTURES (all photos by Christine McHale)
About the pictures…
1. Pro-Israel forces arrive and set up HQ in the rain on public road allowance near the west entrance of Canadian Tire on Nash Road in Stoney Creek. I first took a few minutes to introduce myself to the store manager and the onsite security they had hired. I explained that we would not protest on their private property nor interfere with their business. I also had staff put away 2 Sodastream machines for us to buy at the end of the protest. We kept our word, staying on public land near one of the main driveway entrance roads.
2. Monica DiFrancesco (speaker at 2013 ITW conference) and Vardit Feldman from Toronto keep dry and use Israel Truth Week signs to send a message to passers-by that there’s another side to this issue.
3. Shobie Kapoor, founder of Canadian Patriotic Society, discusses issues with other vigil supporters.
4. Anti-Israel forces take up positions in front of Canadian Tire entrance. In contrast to our approach of not interfering with the business of CAnadian Tire, the Hamilton Coalition to Stop the War (HSCW), on the other hand, marched straight up to the front door, harassing bystanders and impeding customers.
5. These two Muslim women send their message: We hate Sodastream and the jobs they provide for our fellow Arabs!
6. Hamilton Police tell remaining anti-Israel stragglers to get off private property after Gary McHale (not seen in this photo) tells security that if Canadian Tire is consenting to a protest on their property, he will advise the pro-Israel side so they, too, can relocate to the entrance area. The security folks make it clear that no protesters have permission to be on the property, so they had to relocate. Since we had already occupied the best location on public property near the entrance closest to the store (with a very nice tree for shelter from the non-stop rain) they had nowhere else to go but the other entrance which is a long way from the store, on the main thoroughfare. One of our supporters reported that they looked quite forlorn standing in the rain with no shelter, no protest and no audience. They left shortly afterwards.
7. As the anti-Israel side walks away to the far-away north entrance from Queenston Road after being told to leave, one wants to know, ‘why are we leaving already?’ Gary McHale can be seen in the background smiling as their protest ends before it really gets started — thanks to his firm intervention to ensure both sides were treated equally.
8. (L-R): David Freeman, former Chair of Toronto Chapter of CIJR, and I proudly display our new Sodastream purchases with Salomon Benzimra, author of The Jewish Peoples’ Rights To The Land Of Israel; Vardit Feldman from Toronto; and Steve Scheffer of Hamilton’s Never Again Group, co-organizer of the 2013 Israel Truth Week conference.
9. (L-R): Pastor David Cummings of the Hamilton Christian Fellowship – who hosted an ITW 2013 screening of the movie Precious Life that raised nearly $1000 for ALYN children’s hospital in Jerusalem – accepts my Sodastream as a donation to his church, the Hamilton Christian Fellowship. David Freeman’s Sodastream will be donated to a Toronto synagogue.
10. Pro-Israel forces gather at their temporary HQ in the rain to hear my final words of thanks and a recap of the day’s many accomplishments before heading home to dry out.
11. The Sodastream carbonation appliance — buy one for yourself!
Other important people (all photos by Christine McHale)
Supporting Sodastream…and Israel’s ‘San Remo/League of Nations Two State Solution Land Title Deed’
We were there to use the Hamilton Coalition to Stop the War event to support Sodastream, and to expose the public to the inconvenient truth that Israel is an owner, not an occupier thanks to a ‘land title deed’ given to the Jewish people under international law that created the original and still-legal ‘two state solution’ in 1922 when the League of Nations ratified the 1920 San Remo Resolution and the dividing the planned Jewish state of Palestine into two: one for Jews (now Israel) and one for Arabs (now Jordan), and it ended the nearly 2,000 year long colonization of Jewish land by foreigners. Unfortunately, Israel’s two-state solution land title deed has been consistently violated by the Muslims who refuse to accept the reconstituted Jewish state in their midst.
- Israel Truth Week Factsheet: Sodastream Carbonation Appliance [PDF]
- Matthew M. Hausman, BA, JD: Legal and Historical Precedents for Israeli Claims to Judea and Samaria [PDF, 4P].
- Salomon Benzimra, P.Eng., Canadians for Israel’s Legal Rights (CILR.org): Introduction to ‘The Jewish People’s Rights to the Land of Israel‘ [PDF, 5P]
- Renanah Goldhar-Gemeiner: ‘Petition to the House of Commons of Canada for the Reaffirmation of Jewish Legal Rights to the Land of Israel…‘ (drafted by land rights scholar, Attorney Howard Grief, an excellent summary of events and legal developments) [PDF, 4p]
NOTE: While Israel Truth Week has been very active in educating the public and pro-Israel activists about San Remo Resolution and the League of Nations ratification, and planned to focus even more efforts on this area, the idea of building a pro-Israel marketing strategy around the ‘original two-state solution’ was inspired by Pamela Geller’s speech during her Sept 18/13 visit to Toronto in which she outlined what would be her response to misleading ads run by anti-Israel groups.
Supporting Palestinian Arabs and the environment
We also came to show our support for the hundreds of Palestinian Arabs who would lose their jobs of anti-Israel groups were successful in their quest to shut down an employer that feeds the families of approximately 500 Arabs in just one plant alone. As one of our supporters said, ‘Why are the Israel-haters trying to keep Palestinians poor, un-employed, and filled with hate? Because it serves their cause of destroying the Jewish state, the only capitalist, democratic country in the Middle East.’ (Indeed, what other agenda could one ascribe to people who are demonizing a company who provides great benefit to the very people they claim to care about?)