Wow! What a day. Sunday, August 10, 2014. Toronto, Canada. The voices of freedom were loud and they were united:
- 1. A morning colloquium offered by the Canadian Institute for Jewish Research (CIJR); PLUS 3 OTHER EVENTS:
- 2. A flashmob at Roy Thomson Hall organized by Canadians For Israel.
- 3. A rally of thousands at the Israel consulate organized by the Jewish Defence League (JDL) against the pro-terror forces across the street.
- 4. A march of 100+ people from the Israel consulate to Queen’s Park organized by Israel Truth Week, with great support from JDL to support yet another rally of thousands for persecuted Christians in Iraq.
Event #1. 10:30-12:30: CIJR Colloquium: Israel, Hamas and the Third Gazan War. I was only able to attend the first half in order to be able to participate in event #2, but the two speakers I heard were worth the 2.5 hour drive from my home in London alone:
SPEAKER 1: Prof. Renan Levine from the U of Toronto spoke about what the polls were saying about the Gaza war:
- For Israelis: the tunnels made a HUGE difference in gaining strong support for the war. Benjamin Netanayhu’s popularity is way up; no one else is even close.
- For Gazans: most thought Hamas lost and would choose reconstruction vs. more war. A key difference in this war is that Egypt is not a friend of Hamas.
- For Americans: 40% believe Israel is justified. 15% think Hamas is justified. These positions are unaffected by tunnels or the number of civilian dead. The majority of those greater than age 50 think Israel was justified. The majority of those under 25 think Israel was un-justified. Casualties make youth more resistant to truth.
- Non-US citizens: More likely to disapprove of Israel.
The Canadian Institute for Jewish Research (CIJR) and the Speaker’s Action Group are presenting a timely and important lecture by the renowned Dr. Mordechai Kedar at Temple Sinai Congregation in Toronto. Register now so you won’t be disappointed as this will no doubt be a very popular event: firstname.lastname@example.org.
About the Canadian Institute for Jewish Research (CIJR)
In November 2012 CIJR and the Jerusalem Center for Public Affairs (JCPA) held a very informative and well-attended international conference entitled, ‘Combatting The Delegitimation of Israel’ which featured – – among many other distinguished scholars — Ambassador Alan Baker, a legal expert in the field of Israel’s land rights under international law. It was a fascinating event and the Dr. Kedar lecture will no doubt be the same. Do register as soon as possible.
The respected CIJR is one of the various organizations sending speakers to the 2013 Israel Truth Week Conference which takes place on March 5-6 at the Victory International Church in Hamilton, Canada. CIJR’s Alan Herman and Zach Paikin will be speaking about the Student Israel-Advocacy Program (SIAP) at Concordia University headed by Professor Fred Krantz, Director of CIJR.
According to CIJR, the SIAP was designed to give students the information and tools necessary to “take back the campus, by empowering Jewish and interested non-Jewish students…with critically-important speaking, writing and on-campus organizing skills.” Certainly an objective in keeping with the Israel Truth Week mission.
About the Speaker’s Action Group
“The Speakers Action Group is a nonprofit, grassroots organization dedicated to interfaith education to help combat racism and antisemitism. We have a roster of distinguished speakers who volunteer their time to promote tolerance and enhance awareness about cross-cultural issues that affect our community.”