- Mary Lou Ambrogio, London Yodeller, Aug 14/14: The Yodeller Interview with Mark Vandermas – An ‘Honorary Jew’ Fights to Present The Truth About Israel [(Interview Only: PDF (2p), HTML); (Complete Paper, see pp. 10-11: PDF)]
About Mark Vandermaas
Mark Vandermaas is a Canadian civil rights advocate-educator who is the founder of the Caledonia Victims Project and Israel Truth Week (IsraelTruthWeek.org). His parents suffered under Nazi occupation in Holland where they watched Jews taken away to be murdered, and his father escaped from a Nazi work camp. He earned the United Nations peacekeeping medal for his 1978 tour of duty in the Middle East where he saw, firsthand, the remnants of wars begun by Arab attempts to exterminate the Jewish state.
Mark founded Israel Truth Week and produced its first conference in 2012 after Jewish students at Western University in London, Ontario were intimidated while campus police watched. Since then, Israel Truth Week events have been held in Hamilton, Toronto and Boston, USA, raising a total of over $15,000 for the ALYN children’s hospital in Jerusalem and
Israel’s ambulance service, Magen David Adom.
He is the author of the monograph, Rules For Freedom Activists: Israel Advocacy Edition, a teaching tool he uses when speaking to pro-Israel activists to explain the power of applying Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s lessons against today’s anti-Israel fabrications by the radical, anti-capitalist Left.
In 2006, Mark left his career as a real estate broker to become a full-time, volunteer, activist because he felt a strong sense of duty to speak out against racially-based policing and rule of law failures during the lawlessness of the Canadian Caledonia crisis. His work in confronting Ontario government appeasement of violent militants who were terrorizing innocent residents with the aid of radical anti-capitalists and anti-Israel groups over fictitious land claims, and in leading the Ipperwash Papers Project was described in Gary McHale’s 2013 book Victory In The No-Go Zone: Winning The Fight Against Two-Tier Policing.
His arrest with McHale while trying to raise a Canadian flag across from the militant’s police-protected ‘no-go zone’ was also described in the 2010 bestselling book by award-winning Canadian journalist Christie Blatchford, HELPLESS: Caledonia’s Nightmare of Fear and Anarchy, And How The Law Failed All of Us (see National Post excerpt #2).
In December 2011 Mark was a member of the ‘Caledonia 8‘ who lined up to be arrested one-by-one for ‘trespassing’ for quietly attempting to walk down a public road through the racially-segregated, violent Caledonia occupation site known as the Douglas Creek Estates. (All charges were later dropped against the Caledonia 8.)
During the summer of 2011, Mark conducted a 26-day vigil at a London, Ontario mosque in 2011 to protest against the fact that it had raised money for, and sent a ‘delegate’ on, the ‘Canadian Boat to Gaza’ which then attempted (unsuccessfully) to break the Israeli blockade of weapons to the Hamas terror organization. His vigil lasted 26 days. His 2013 counter-protest against anti-Israel groups attempting to intimidate a Canadian retailer from carrying Israeli-made Sodastream products attracted Jews, Christians, Muslims and Hindus who stood in the rain for hours to ensure that the true side of the story was told by media..
Mark received one of the greatest honours of his life when, in recognition of his contribution to the success of the 2012 National Holocaust Remembrance Day ceremony, the Canadian Society for Yad Vashem called him to the stage as part of the Zachor Coalition to light a candle in Ottawa, Ontario.
He was unofficially named an ‘Honorary Jew’ in 2014 at his third annual Israel Truth Week conference in Toronto by Goldi Steiner, co-founder of Canadians for Israel’s Legal Rights, publisher of The Jewish People’s Rights To The Land Of Israel.
In 2014, Mark started the ‘Truth Before Solutions Campaign’ to draw attention to what he calls the Jewish ‘land title deed’ from the ‘Original Two-State Solution’: the 1922 League of Nations Mandate For Palestine. The campaign seeks a moratorium on Middle East peace ‘negotiations’ and land give-aways until Israelis have been provided meaningful education about the Mandate, and the world community acknowledges that Jews are ‘owners, not occupiers’ of Palestine.
Mark lives in London, Ontario, Canada with his wife, Debbie, without whom his work would not be possible. He can be reached at 519.457.0709, firstname.lastname@example.org .
NEWS |APPEARANCES |WRITINGS
Israel Truth Week (2014)
- Mary Lou Ambrogio, London Yodeller, Aug 14/14: The Yodeller Interview with Mark Vandermas – An ‘Honorary Jew’ Fights to Present The Truth About Israel [(Interview Only: HTML); (Complete Paper, see pp. 10-11: PDF)]
- Canadian Jewish News, Aug 13/14: London, Ont., foodfest attracts pro- and anti-Israel protesters
- Doris Strub Epstein, Israel Activist Alliance, Aug 6/14: Israel Advocacy Group Steals The Show From London Pro Hamas Propagandists
- Mark Vandermaas, Times of Israel blog, July 29/14: Mark Vandermaas speech to thousands at Toronto Israel rally: “No Peace Without Truth”
- Mark Vandermaas, Times of Israel blog, July 29/14: Thousands of Canadians rally for Jewish & Arab victims
- Mark Vandermaas speech notes & handout for Canadians For Israel Rally, Queen’s Park, Toronto, Ontario, Canada, July 26/14 [PDF; Crowd Handout PDF]
- Jewish Review (JewishReview.ca), Shalom World show, Doris Epstein, April 9/14: Israel Truth Week (Interview w/Mark Vandermaas) [VIDEO, 30:09]
- Jewish Tribune, April 08/14: New support group wants Israel land rights issues front and centre
- Israel Truth Week: 2014 Conference, (Toronto, March 23)
- Shalom Toronto, March 13/14: Fighting For Israel: Israel Truth Week
- Mark Vandermaas presentation, Israel Advocacy Training Workshop, Village Shul, Toronto, Jan 26/14: Rules For Freedom Activists:
- Presentation notes + learning aid handout [PDF, 11p]
Learning aid handout only (updated Mar 06/14): Rules For Freedom Activists: Israel Advocacy Edition [PDF, 8p]
Learning aid: Israel Truth Week feature: League of Nations Mandate For Palestine: the ORIGINAL Two-State Solution
Israel Truth Week (2013)
Jewish Tribune, Joanne Hill, Sept 24/13: Pro-Israel shoppers foil boycott at Canadian Tire store
- Canadian Jewish News, Abigail Cukier, Sept 23/13: Counter-protesters buy $600 worth of product
- Israel Truth Week, Sept 22/13: Sodastream vigil brings Christians, Hindus, Muslims, Jews together to stand against intimidation by Hamilton Coalition to Stop the War
- Hamilton Spectator, Sept 21/13: Israel, Palestinian groups protest at Canadian Tire over controversial inventory
- Freedom Press Canada Journal, Valerie Price, Aug 06/13: Israel Truth Week
- Mark Vandermaas, July 02/13: eulogy for Howard Grief memorial, Toronto Zionist Centre [PDF; VIDEO (Mark appears at 10:10)]
- The Canadian Jewish News, March 18/13: Israel Truth Week fights ‘obvious’ lies [PDF; PDF (lg font)]
- Huffington Post, March 15/13: Tahir Gora — Canadian Muslims Unite to Recognize Israel’s Rights to Exist (Mark Vandermaas was one of a number of speakers)
- Israpundit.com, Matthew Hausman, BA, JD (ITW 2013 speaker), March 11/13: The Shame of Israel Apartheid Week [PDF]
- Mark Vandermaas, March 5/13: PPT presentation for 2013 conference [PPT]
- Israel Truth Week: 2013 Conference (Hamilton, March 5-6/13)
- SHALOM TORONTO, Feb 14/13: Caledonia Warrior Organizes Israel Conference [PDF; HTML]
Israel Truth Week (2012)
- Canadian Jewish News, Sheri Shefa, March 23/12: ‘Israel Truth Week’ organized in London [PDF, ITW download]
- Jewish Tribune, Joanne Hill, March 20/12: ‘Lies told about Israel, Jews’ motivation for Israel Truth Week [PDF, March 22/12 print edition (see p6); PDF, ITW download]
- Israel Truth Week: 2012 Conference (London, March 21/13)
- Jewish Defence League, March 16/12: 2012 Israel Truth Week Conference – March 21, London, Canada
- IsraelTruthWeek, March 07/12: SUN TV’s Michael Coren re Israel Truth Week vs. IAW: “The resistance has begun!”
- SUN News Network, March 07/12: Israel Truth Week (Michael Coren show)
- CANOE.TV, March 07/12: Israel Truth Week (Michael Coren show)
- Toronto Sun, March 07/12: Israel Truth Week (Michael Coren show)
- Woodstock Sentinel Review, Editors Picks, March 07/12: Israel Truth Week (Michael Coren show)
- Simcoe Reformer, March 07/12: Israel Truth Week (Michael Coren show)
- St. Catharines Standard, March 07/12: Israel Truth Week (Michael Coren show)
- Niagara Falls Review, Featured Video, March 07/12: Israel Truth Week (Michael Coren show)
- Brantford Expositor, Editors Picks, March 07/12: Israel Truth Week (Michael Coren show)
Blue Beret vigil vs. Canadian Boat to Gaza, June 23-July 18/11
- VoiceofCanada, June 22/11: MEDIA RELEASE: Former Blue Beret to protest London (Ontario) Muslim Mosque support for Canadian Boat to Hamas
- VoiceofCanada feature: (FINAL) DAY 26 UPDATE: – ‘Blue Beret vigil’
- The ‘Just Right’ Show, CHRW Radio 94.9FM, Western University (London, Ontario, Canada), July 14/11: ‘Mark Vandermaas – Blue Berets for Peace’ [WMA] [HQ MP3] [WEBSITE]
- Landmark Report (Andrew Lawton), special contribution by Gary McHale, July 12/11: McHale: Blue Berets for Peace Vigil in London [PDF]
- BlogWrath.com, July 11/11: The Blue Beret and the London Not-So-Free Press (“With Mark standing at the mosque, the whole issue of the Canadian leftist psychopaths supporting Hamas is hard to ignore. You can consider him an embodiment of the conscience, which the mosque and the progressives lack.“)
- Toronto Sun (Peter Worthington), July 06/11: Flotilla should stay docked [PDF]
- Jewish Tribune (Joanne Hill), June 28/11: Former UN peacekeeper staging daily protests against London mosque
- VoiceofCanada, June 27/11: Mark Vandermaas letter to Hamilton Spectator: ‘Genocidal anti-Semitism is the issue
- Blue Beret Vigil handout #1: ‘OUR GOALS TODAY’ [PDF]
- Blue Beret Vigil handout #2: ‘Provoking Violence? Lessons from Dr. King and the Little Rock Nine‘ [LINK] [PDF] [VIDEO, 9:24] (taken from Mark Vandermaas speech, March for Freedom, Caledonia Lions Park, Caledonia, Ontario, Canada, May 24/09)
- Blue Beret Vigil handout #3: ‘Why I carry a Palestinian flag in my pocket‘
Caledonia Crisis, 2006-Present
- Caledonia Victims Project: About – Mark Vandermaas
- ‘Caledonia: No More Nightmares’ event, Ottawa, March 22/11: Mark Vandermaas presentation, Part 1 – Caledonia’s Victims [VIDEO #1, 15:05] [PDF, 36p w/citations]
- ‘Caledonia: No More Nightmares’ event, Ottawa, March 22/11: Mark Vandermaas presentation, Part 2 – Caledonia Myths & Policy Issues: ‘Vexatious Land Claims‘ and Caledonia: a National Security Issue [VIDEO #2, 14:50] [PDF, 36p w/citations] (includes info re support for native militants by radical unionists, anarchists, anti-capitalists, anti-Israel groups and terror group supporters)
- ‘Caledonia: No More Nightmares’ event, Ottawa, March 22/11, Mark Vandermaas presentation, Part 2 cont. – Caledonia Myths & Policy Issues: An Illegal Peacekeeping Mission on Canadian Soil [VIDEO #3, 9:39] [PDF, 36p incl. citations, begins p12]
- New Directions in Aboriginal Policy forum, Mount Royal University, May 05/10, Mark Vandermaas presentation: Listening to Victims: A Fresh Approach to Healing and Reconciliation [PDF, 21p]