(UPDATED July 04/13) Israel Truth Week founder Mark Vandermaas has been invited to say a few words at the memorial service for the noted Israeli legal historian, author, and lawyer Howard Grief who passed away recently…
The community is invited to a Shloshim Memorial to be held for
Tuesday, July 2/13, 7:30 p.m.
The Toronto Zionist Centre
788 Marlee Avenue
Please RSVP, if possible to: Renanah Goldhar-Gemeiner: email@example.com
(there is no admission fee for this event)
To Howard’s great love and source of strength — his family — wife Ilana and sons Ariel and Elad: May you be comforted among the mourners of Zion.
- Howard’s book: The Legal Foundation and Borders of Israel Under International Law, a 732 page masterpiece, the result of 25 years’ research. (note: Amazon.ca offers only the 2008 edition)
- Howard’s speech: at the ‘Women in Green’ 2nd annual conference for the Application of Israeli Sovereignty over Judea and Samaria’: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfLNXrYTZ2Y
Blogwrath.com, July 03/13: Howard Grief memorial held in Toronto (photos & video highlights)
Blogwrath.com video, July 02/13: Howard Grief memorial, Toronto Zionist Centre [VIDEO, 20:12]
- Mark Vandermaas eulogy for Howard Grief, Toronto Zionist Centre, July 02/13 [PDF; VIDEO (Mark appears at 10:10)]
- Jewish Tribune, June 11/13: Howard Grief, 73, staunch fighter for land of Israel
Comment: Standing on the shoulders of a giant
I, like many others, Jew and Gentile, once believed that it was the 1947 UN vote for Partition that gave Israel her legitimacy under international law. I was wrong, very wrong, as I would discover with the help of several Jewish activists who had stood on the shoulders of a giant named Howard Grief to educate me and so many others woefully ignorant of the facts.
Thanks to these people, who taught me the remarkable and inconvenient (for many) truth that modern Israel is founded on an unshakable bedrock of international law that is being violated and obfuscated through hate and/or ignorance, I realized that Israel Truth Week could perform no more important educational service than helping these people in their quest to share the truth about the 1920 San Remo Conference and the subsequent 1922 League of Nations ratification vote that created the Mandate system for Iraq, Syria, Lebanon and…Palestine — Jewish Palestine.
To that end, the 2013 Israel Truth Week conference included three speakers who addressed the issue of Israel’s founding under international law in their own, unique way. All of them provided authoritative handouts (see below) for audience members to rely upon when defending Israel against the outrageous lies that call her legitimacy into question. Two — Renanah Goldhar-Gemeiner and Salomon Benzimra — had worked closely with Howard Grief to carry his advocacy for Israel’s land rights forward with works of their own. Renanah and her husband, Joe, worked with Grief to create a petition summarizing the facts surrounding Israel’s borders which was presented to the Canadian government. As soon as I saw it I realized it would be a fantastic reference tool for Israel’s friends. Salomon, founder of Canadians for Israel’s Legal Rights (CILR) with Goldi Steiner, had authored The Jewish People’s Rights to the Land of Israel, a shorter, more reader-friendly account of Israel’s modern founding that relied heavily on Grief’s 700 page work.
No one can read these works and come away with any other conclusion that Judea and Samaria (commonly known today as the West Bank) belong, without question, to Israel as did Gaza until Ariel Sharon unilaterally turned over the land to people who were more interested in Jew extermination than in peace. If Israel’s people decide to give away more of their ancestral land, returned to them in modern times by the world community through the forerunner to the UN, they (and those urging them to do so) should at least do so knowing the facts. So few, it seems, actually do.
I hope to see you at the Howard Grief memorial next Tuesday where you can meet the Goldhar-Gemeiners and Salomon Benzimra. It has been an honour to work with people like these who stood on his shoulders and it is an honour to be asked to speak about the impact, in my world, of this giant of a man whom I never had the pleasure of meeting.
References – Israel’s legal rights
- Howard Grief: The Legal Foundation and Borders of Israel Under International Law (2013 edition)
- Salomon Benzimra, P.Eng., Canadians for Israel’s Legal Rights (CILR.org): Introduction to ‘The Jewish People’s Rights to the Land of Israel‘ [PDF, 5P]
- Salomon Benzimra, P.Eng., Canadians for Israel’s Legal Rights (CILR.org), The Jewish People’s Rights to the Land of Israel (Kindle eBOOK, $9.72)
- Rennanah Goldhar-Gemeiner: ‘Petition to the House of Commons of Canada for the Reaffirmation of Jewish Legal Rights to the Land of Israel…‘ (drafted by Howard Grief) [PDF, 4p]
- Matthew M. Hausman, BA, JD : Legal and Historical Precedents for Israeli claims to Judea and Samaria [PDF, 4p]
POSTED BY: Mark Vandermaas, Israel Truth Week, firstname.lastname@example.org