UPDATED April 13/12: See below for reply from London Free Press reporter Dale Carruthers + response email from Mark Vandermaas providing links showing that Carruthers’ ‘Islam 101’ instructor Imam Dr. Munir El Kassem attended & translated documents for a Feb 26-28, 2000 Islamist conference in Chicago sponsored by Louis Farrakhan’s Nation of Islam and Muammar Qaddafi.
London Free Press
London, Ontario, Canada
RE: Islam 101, April 10/12: Jesus as miracle worker part of Qu’ran [LINK]:
“But it’s the similarities that show the world’s two largest religions, Islam and Christianity, aren’t so different.”
“In a sign of just how much Islam respects Jesus, our instructor always repeats the words, “peace be upon him” after mentioning Jesus’ name”
“Mohammed was the last messenger from God.”
Dear Mr. Carruthers:
I am sure that you did not intend to insult Christians and mislead your readers, but from the persective of this Christian who has trained with former Sharia court judge Sam Solomon (a pseudonym due to death threats) with respect to Islam/Sharia, I must point out that Christianity and Islam are polar opposites from each other. It is insulting and irresponsible to suggest that they have anything meaningful in common, and the simplest proof of this can be found by examining the people who inspired them:
ISLAM: began by a man who incited hate and violence against Christians and Jews, committed mass murder, owned & raped slaves, married a 6 year old girl and raped her when she was 9, and urged his followers to subjugate and take the lives of others so they would be rewarded in the afterlife.
CHRISTIANITY: began by a man who killed no one, raped no one, owned no one, told his followers to love their enemies, and willingly sacrificed his own life to cleanse us of our sins so we could have everlasting life.
If you would like to see a more detailed comparison of Mohammed & Islam vs. Jesus & Christianity, I would suggest this reference:
- ReligionofPeace.com feature: Christianity and Islam: A Side By Side Comparison
I would also suggest you avail yourself of the material on this page:
- VoiceofCanada feature: Islamic Doctrine (Sharia)
Here, you can find credentialed references about Sharia, plus links to the Hadiths and the Sirat which, with the Quran, complete the Islamic trilogy. The page also contains an explanation of the concept of ‘abrogation’ of which the naive Quran reader is unaware. You will also find a video lecture by Mr. Solomon.
As Wafa Sultan once said, “The trouble with Islam is deeply rooted in its teachings. Islam is not only a religion. Islam [is] also a political ideology that preaches violence and applies its agenda by force.”
- Wikipedia.org: Wafa Sultan
Wafa Sultan is also credited with saying (and I paraphrase her here) that while it is sad that most Christians do not follow the teachings and example of Jesus, it is indeed fortunate that most Muslims do not follow the teachings and example of Mohammed.
As a Christian I am required to love my enemies, but I am also required to confront them and their apologists with the truth. And, as a former Canadian Forces veteran of a peacekeeping mission to the Middle East who has volunteered the last 5 years of my life to defending the rule of law in Caledonia, and a growing portion of my time defending the truth about Israel, I would be very appreciative if you might do some critical research so that you may present an informed, objective, factually-based viewpoint on the topic of Islam vs. Christianity.
Unfortunately, given the past history of your and the London Free Press’s refusal to print the truth about Israel, Gaza and the London Mosque’s support for the 2011 Boat to Gaza mission to end the weapons blockade against the Hamas terror organization, I have no confidence that your paper will publish this letter, so I have published it at IsraelTruthWeek.org.
If you wish to respond, please send your reply to me via email and I will print it in full. I would also be pleased to ask one or more of my Israel Truth Week Conference speakers to respond, including Rabbi Jonathan Hausman, BA, MA, JD (photo, R) whose Masters degree is in International Relations (Middle East) and who is fluent in Arabic having studied at Cairo University.
London, Ontario, Canada
NOTE TO READERS:
I should point out that Mr. Carruthers is one of the two London Free Press reporters who interviewed me during my 2011 26-day Blue Beret vigil last year in front of the London Muslim Mosque in protest its direct support for the Canadian Boat to Gaza effort to break the Israeli weapons blockade against the Hamas terror organization . While the LFP printed several puff-pieces about the two ‘delegates’ from London on the failed voyage to Gaza (Prof. David Heap and the mosque’s Operation Manager) Carruthers did not report on the daily vigil going on barely 10 minutes away from his office, nor did he report any of the facts I cited proving that there was no humanitarian crisis in Gaza.
The editor of the LFP also refused to publish an op-ed submitted by Gary McHale about the vigil and the Gaza facts to which I was trying to draw attention. Fortunately, the Jewish Tribune, London’s Just Right radio show, Andrew Lawton’s Landmark Report, and even Peter Worthington of the Toronto Sun did report the facts. Worthington’s story included mention of how the LFP was ignoring the story:
- Israel Truth Week: About – Mark Vandermaas (scroll down to ‘Blue Beret vigil vs. Canadian Boat to Gaza…)
Finally, I wish I could say I was surprised that the London Free Press did not report on the recent Israel Truth Week Conference in London. They were, sadly, not alone in the lineup of London-based media outlets ignoring the story of Jews and non-Jews coming together in the city to tell the truth about Israel. Fortunately, SUN TV, Jewish media and bloggers did not:
- Israel Truth Week: Israel Truth Week Conference (scroll down to ‘MEDIA COVERAGE,’ below photos)
April 12/12: LFP reporter Dale Carruthers to Mark Vandermaas
From: Dale Carruthers (email@example.com)
Sent: April 12/12 9:40 AM
To: Mark Vandermaas
Subject: Re: ‘Islam 101 – Islam & Christianity aren’t so different’
Thank for the feedback, Mark. However, my column has absolutely nothing to do with Israel or Gaza. It’s about Londoners reaching out to members of their community, hoping to share their religion. The people at the Islamic Centre are more than welcoming. Perhaps you should come see for yourself Sunday at noon.
April 13/12: Mark Vandermaas to LFP reporter Dale Carruthers
From: Mark Vandermaas (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Sent: April 12/12 9:40 AM
To: Dale Carruthers (email@example.com)
Cc: [Editor] Joe Ruscitti (firstname.lastname@example.org); [Acting Editor] Greg Van Moorsel (email@example.com)
Subject: photo of Munir El Kassem at Louis Farrakhan/Qadaffi-sponsored conference
1. I’m going to be updating my article with your comments, along with this picture of your Islam 101 instructor Munir El Kassem at a Chicago conference sponsored by the Nation of Islam (Louis Farrakhan) and Muammar Qaddafi where he’s talking with the Grand Mufti of Jerusalem and the Nation of Islam Information Minister:
Louis Farrakhan is a Jew-hater (see video below for a sample of his quotes, or just Google ‘Louis Farrakhan Jews’) who admired Hitler, so if I were you I’d learn a little more about Islam, and especially about the ‘welcoming’ people who are teaching you about Islam and Christianity.
I trust I don’t need to explain to you who Muammar Qadafi was?
2. As British publisher Lord Northcliffe once said, ‘News is what somebody somewhere wants to suppress; all the rest is advertising.” So far, what I’ve read from you – whether it is about Gaza & Israel in 2011 or Islam today – is advertising for people who preach and/or support hate and violence against innocents. Is that really why you got into journalism?
3. As for your column not being about Israel and Gaza, you know full well my comments in that regard had nothing to do with my point about your patent ignorance of Islam & Christianity, but about you and your paper’s refusal to print the truth about the Boat to Gaza. Your column back then definitely had to do with that topic so your deflection is more than a little disingenuous. And…you definitely refused to print the facts I made available to you about Gaza not having an humanitarian crisis.
4. If you want to talk off the record, please feel free to call me any time, day or night. If you respond in writing, however, I will publish your comments.
[END OF EMAIL] ———————————
NOTES TO READERS –
1. re Louis Farrakhan/Nation of Islam hatred of Jews:
- GlennBeck.com: Farrakhan exposed: Anti-Semitic Hate (***4 mins of quotes from Farrakhan & NOI leaders on video)
- GlennBeck.com: Farrakhan: Jesus was a Muslim!
- Google search: ‘Louis Farrakhan Jews’
2. About Imam Munir El Kassem at Farrakhan/Qaddafi-sponsored conference, Feb 26-28/2000
- RadioIslam.org, Feb 2000: Establishing Muslim Brotherhood and Islamic Unity in the United States of America and Abroad
Chicago, Illinois USA
International Islamic scholars gathered in Chicago, Illinois, USA February 26th – 28th 2000 to share new methods and strategies of spreading the message of Islam and stopping the Zionist domination that has spread throughout the globe.The conference was sponsored the World Islamic Peoples’ Leadership (WIPL) headed by Col. Muammar Qaddafi and Minister Louis Farrakhan´s Nation of Islam, the strong Islamic freedom fighters located in the United States. Farrakhan is also the Deputy Commander of WIPL.Muslims from Ghana, Malaysia, Canada, Russia, Libya, Palestine, Qatar, Nigeria and all other parts of the globe came together in a great show of Islamic power and unity.
[PHOTO] “Pictured are (left) Dr. Munir El Kassem of Ontario, Canada, (center) Grand Mufti of Jerusalem and the Holy Lands Ikrimah Sabri with NOI Information Minster and FCN Online Correspondent Ashahed Maliki Muhammad (right holding recorder) at the 2nd International Islamic Conference in Chicago, Illinois, USA.
“El Kassem was translator for many of the main portions of the conference showing that language shall no longer be a barrier between Muslims. At the end of the conference, he read a nine-point resolution drafted by the conferees, reaffirming several sacred principles and several policy objectives that will benefit the followers of Islam worldwide.”
“Actually it takes vision, determination and strong leadership to achieve unity and I think Minister Farrakhan demonstrated that ability and strong leadership and vision to bring the Muslims together and I think that we just started this journey of unification and we still have a lot to do under his leadership.”
Imam Munir El Kassem
London Ontario, Canada
- Attendee/translator at Islamist conference sponsored by Jew-haters & despot-terrorist;
- London (Ontario) Police Service chaplain [LINK; PDF ITW download] (photo, R, 2nd from L);
- ‘Islam 101’ instructor for London Free Press reporter Dale Carruthers.